Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Times they are a changing

Last week I signed up for the British 10km run on 1 July.

Completely out of character for me, but I was challenged by Ken that if we both did it he would beat me. Dammit I can't say no to a challenge - I signed up.

My flattie Julian was bugging me about joining his gym where he's just signed up. Basically he wanted a gym buddy. I hate gyms so I've been avoiding him on the subject. Tonight however I did accompany him to the swimming pool.

Swimming is part of my training plan for the 10km run. It is a loose plan as I can't swim. As a kiwi its quite embarrassing. Okay maybe not as bad as 2trees story, but almost as embarrassing. Julian said he'd train me. We're doing to Rocky thing, except he doesn't run and I don't do gyms. Could be amusing.

Tomorrow I start my running program. I hope my kness survive.

My plan this year is to get fit again. Too much beer and not enough exercise does not a happy man make.

K8 and I looked at flights to NZ on the weekend. We should have booked and paid by the end of the week. We're looking to go to Dubai on the way back. Cost is only slightly more expensive than direct through the US but then what's a bit more when you're paying £1200 anyway! I mean £1200 (and that's the cheapest) - where does any airline get away charging so much for a flight!?

I remember the days when you could go to a shop and get 10 sweets for 10cents. £1200 is 335,000 sweets at current exchange rates. If you were to line those 335,000 sweets up in a line, it would circumnavigate the globe more that once. If you were to convert those sweets to energy there would be more than enough to fly that plane twice around the globe!

If it weren't for the fact that that much sugar is bad for you, and I haven't seen family and friends for several years, and the fact I'm not a sugar person then I would definitely go for the sweets as they're way better value.

Anyway, if you can't already tell, I'm getting rather excited about going back to home.

Details will follow.

BTW, I take no responsibility for any dodgy maths used in the post.

3 comments:

fish said...

Nice to have you back! I stopped reading because I thought you had given up on the blog thing. Keep it comin' big guy.

I'm training too! We can compare training tips! Oh joy!

Ahem. Um, good luck with the training anyway. The first two minutes running are always the hardest.

Ado said...

Not giving up Fish, just took a holiday, I hope to be back for good.

First two minutes huh? I've done two 15 minute runs of approx 3km in the last week (I'm starting easy). I have a lot of improvements to make before the big run. What concerns me the most, and what is keeping me "small time" at the moment is my dodgy knee. If you have advice for fixing knees then please do tell.

d3vo said...

Hi Ado,

First off if you really are running 3kms in 15 minutes then you are probably training way to fast. If you are starting running you probably want to be doing 6.5 or 7 minutes kms, which is just above walking pace. You are going to have to run for 45 minutes to an hour continuously in your event.

This means you need to spend one training day a week getting used to exercising continuously for that period of time, even if you don't cover much ground. The energy supplying bits of your body need to be trained too, not just your muscles.

May I suggest you go to a shoe store with a treadmill and some staff that look like they are runners and get them to recommend you a pair of shoes. Tell then explicitly about your knee issue, they may well have had similar issues personally. The shoe manufacturers make all kinds of shoe variations to overcome all sort so niggles.

You can get shoes with stiffer parts in the soles to protect your knees rolling in, for example.

Failing that go see a real expert, a sports podiatrist. You should be able to find a podiatrist who is a running and treats runners. These guys will sort you out in no time.

Just don't get confused and go see a paediatrician!