Friday, February 09, 2007

It snowed

Snow
Not much to say today apart from it snowed. Must admit that it was fairly impressive snow, a good foot deep. Unfortunately I had a job interview this morning so I didn't get much of a chance to "frolic" and play snowball fights (I wouldn't have had anyone to play with anyway). I think that will be next time. All the same, it was fairly nice to take that train from Paddington to Maidenhead and see the countryside covered in white, with falling snow going on.

The travel delays didn't affect me, unlike the 2002/2003 snow where I was trapped in my car for five hours after leaving work. I hope its the same today. I still think about that time several years ago. Its crazy spending that much time stationary in a car.

BTW, I took a photo of the snow from my flat, but after downloading it, it turned out to be totally unacceptable. Hence no photo. I'm very tough on myself with photos.

Football aka Soccer
I went to the soccer on Waitangi Day. Yep, fairly pitiful effort I know, but for some reason my heart wasn't in Waitangi day this year. I didn't even do the circle line pub crawl like I did last year. I do feel bad about not really celebrating, but it was only after we had the tickets to the soccer that we realised it was Waitangi Day.

So I ended up watching Portugal beat Brazil in a friendly at the Emirates stadium (Arsenals new home ground). Wow, 59,738 people in the stadium. For the life of me I can't remember how many people Cardiff stadium holds, but this must come close or beat that.

Interestingly I think there were way too many English people there doing exactly what me and the lads were doing - going to see some amazing players play rather than supporting a team. Yeah, I guess it was amusing the booing every time Ronaldo got the ball. Do I feel sorry for him? Yes and no.

I feel sorry for him because it's unfriendly. Almost as bad as the pub that played music over the Brazilian national anthem in the Aussie vs Brazil game at the world cup. Aussie pub as it turned out much to my distress as I only really went out to Shoreditch because I thought it was a Brazilian hangout full with Brazilian woman (hey I'm a guy okay, and I wasn't supporting either team). Basically it's unsporting like. I could imagine the toffs at Lords saying "yes, jolly bad show old chap, it just ain't cricket". Also, what he did is part of the sport and I think the English just have to accept it.

I don't feel sorry for him because of what he did in the world cup. The fact he got away with it and that Rooney is Rooney is inconsequential. I feel for the English sometimes, especially when it comes to soccer. After the Brazil vs. Oz world cup game at that pub, I have lost all respect for the Oz soccer team completely, and it's got nothing to do with the players.

I definitely don't support England in rugby ... well kind of, depends on who they're playing.

Animations
I love animations, I have a few favourite sites I check out every so often. One had a link to this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3280356279528968292&hl=en
I love it, very cute. For a second it made me home sick.

Weekend
This weekend I'm off to Barcelona. Going to spend a quality weekend/time with Kate. Funny how we never seem to spend much time together, things always get in the way. Doesn't help that she's away for business for two weeks (that's why I'm back to Barcelona). But it'll be nice, and she hasn't been there yet so I'll be able to take her around. Looking forward to it.

Travel Log
I've been updating my website recently. I have my entire Southern Africa trip in there. Okay I'm missing a few pieces, like the majority of the words, but it is there. I'm contemplating whether or not to link to it from here. The problem is that it was originally put together by Em solely to see who had travelled more of the world. As it turns out I won by 1%, but I've still kept it, I just need to add the words. Oh, and I'm still winning by the way. 35 countries and apparently 13% of the world.

I might hold a poll to see who wants to see it, or I might just keep chipping away trying to make it acceptable, kinda like this blog really.

No comments: